Thursday, August 25, 2011

Everything's Roseola

Sorry it's been so long since the last posting. (If I were a professional blogger, I'd ... no longer be a professional blogger, having long since been fired for lack of content.)  But, as always, there are valid reasons, if not excuses.
  1. I just finished teaching an intensive summer English course. These courses are intensive for instructors as well as students. Hopefully my students' English improved, though I'm not sure mine did. 
  2. As soon as summer school was over, the horse went lame on both right legs. Agh. He's on the mend, fortunately.
  3. Following on the heels/hooves of equine illness came infantile illness. Last Monday, I got a call around 11 am from Wyatt's daycare -- he had a fever of 103 (cue Foreigner song), which was startling, since he had felt fine that morning. We brought him to the pediatrician, who poked his ears, felt his throat, listened to his breathing, sent him to the lab so the sadistic tech could draw vials of blood from a tiny arm vein, only to ultimately conclude that he had a fever "of undetermined origin." He theorized that it could be a UTI or roseola, and essentially told us to wait and see.
Wyatt was feverish and very irritable (that plum isn't cut the way I like! Waaaah!!!) for a few days. The fever finally broke on Thursday, and was replaced by a pinkish rash and some measles-like spots, mainly on his neck and arms. Verdict: roseola. 

Thankfully, when the fever broke, so did his bad mood, and he was in much better spirits last weekend -- so much so that we went up to Grandpa & Grandma's cabin in Emily, MN. He played in the sand, went out in the boat, waded (very briefly -- the water was cold!) in the lake, and spent several hours trying to figure out how to work the window crank. 


Now we're back in the city, Wyatt can stand unassisted, and he has 2 molars coming in on the right side. One thing that hasn't changed is his love for the tub -- can your bath soap do this for you? 


No comments:

Post a Comment