Here we are in week 29, entering our 7th month (!). Blinker is the size of a squash, weighing in at 2.5 pounds. He's* still very active, and getting bigger quickly, so I'm getting kicked in the ribs more now, in addition to in the bladder and in the side.Last week @ childbirth class we got to watch videos of babies being born, with all the requisite images of women howling in pain, sweating, clutching at railings, etc. The whole part about epidurals disturbed me so much that Blinker got upset too and started kicking hard. (I went in with an open mind about epidurals; now I don't one.) One of my co-workers is a proponent of hypnobirthing; she told me that women (and doctors, I suppose) are actually counterproductive when they share all their graphic stories of 36-hour labors and such. Why not share some stories of births that go well, so we don't clamp up and fear labor and birth? We know it's not easy, but hearing only the horror stories only makes us fear it more.
Speaking of good things, I still feel fine, though I'm getting tired more often. This is partly because of of Blinker but also partly due to usual end-of-semester fatigue -- only 2 weeks left of classes! I'm not teaching summer school, so in a couple weeks I'll have time to do things like set up a crib, get a little dresser, and generally prepare for his arrival.
* I'm not going to keep trying to do "his/her" or "s/he" any more.

No comments:
Post a Comment