Friday, May 20, 2011

Baby Food Blues

I have been making most of Wy's baby food since he started on solids 6 months ago. I use the Cooking for Baby book, which is full of great information. Initially this was easy and fun, when the recipes had 1-2 steps and 1-2 ingredients ("Cook sweet potatoes. Purée. Serve.") and Wyatt was receptive to anything. Now, however, the recipes have gotten more sophisticated and rival those served at White House State dinners ("Parsnip & Broccoli Gratin," "Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Purée"), just as Wyatt has become a finicky eater. For instance, earlier this week, I got a nice organic lamb steak , since lamb is supposedly a preferred meat for babies.  I cooked & chopped said steak according to directions, but ... guess who doesn't like lamb, and clamps a willful mouth shut when it's offered? *sigh* The results of this (failed) experiment are now being used as high-class cat food, for which I apologize to the memory of the lamb. 


Wy with his Fresh Food Feeder.
Image provided by Munchkin Corp. 
Wy also is getting messy, of course. After every meal he has food in his hair and all over his face, and the high chair is a disaster of half-eaten puffs, bananas, crackers, sweet potato, or pasta. I don't want to throw all this out so I shake the high chair tray out the door. The mouse, ant, and squirrel population by the front door has grown exponentially.  



One thing Wy does seem to like is the new Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder, which allows him to suck on solid foods without choking. He took to it right away when offered for the first time this morning. (Thanks for the Tip, Aunt Jen!) 




Speaking of eating, I asked our pediatrician about food for Wy, since he seems to get constipated on a regular basis, with much alarming red-faced straining ensuing. She recommended not eating the ABCDs -- Apples, Bananas, Carrots, Dairy, and instead eating the Ps (Pears, Plums, Peaches, Peas, and of course Prunes) to remedy this problem. This is quite a modification to his diet, since ABCD make up a large part of his daily food, but we'll deal with this; in the immortal words of Steve Winwood, "Roll with it, baby!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment